If made priority, nothing can stop Winter Sports in India: Aanchal Thakur

NOIDA: Roshan Thakur, who is the secretary common of the Winter Games Federation of India (WGFI), was sitting with a close buddy and affiliate in a shop off Manali's Mall Road on January nine when he got a message announcing that his daughter Aanchal Thakur had gained India's first skiing medal at an international match.

ALSO READ: India's first adventure sports expo flags off Year of Adventure Tourism

At first, neither guy may believe it, but when Aanchal referred to as her father on WhatsApp and shared photos of her landmark medal, Thakur was elated. His daughter, 21, had gained a bronze medal on the Alpine Eider 3200 Cup in Turkey, a contest organised via the International Ski Federation (ISF). Thakur had educated Aanchal for the contest, which integrated a stint in Europe, but a medal had not been anticipated.

ALSO READ: Aanchal Thakur gives India its 1st global medal in skiing


While in New Delhi for the not too long ago concluded Adventure Sports Expo Asia, a first-of-its-kind extravaganza in India to kick off the federal government's Year of Adventure Tourism marketing campaign, Aanchal visited the TOI office to discuss her medal, what went into winning it and how it will elevate the profile of wintry weather sports in India.

Excerpts:

Aanchal, congratulations in your fulfillment. Is that the happiest you've felt at the vary?

Yes, it was the happiest moment of my life. The struggle to win an international medal started at a tender age. I was best 5 years previous after I started skiing. I started with plastic skis and rubber boots. Then I moved to wood skis and in the end after I got my first pair of right kind skis from my father, the preparation started in earnest. It has been years of onerous work against reaching something for our nation and now when I have something in my hand, I'm elated.

We've read that your grandfather had gifted you a pair of wood skis, which lifted your interest in skiing...

Actually, my grandfather had made those skis and given them to my father. The pair I used had been additionally wood, but those belonged to my cousins. They gifted them to me. Initially we didn't pass to the Solang Ski Resort, but as a kid I would observe in my village. There was only one pair of skis and we might all stay up for our flip to use them in a hurry for our ski runs down the slope.

Within hours after news broke of your medal in Turkey, there was a flood of congratulations on social media, together with from some essential personalities...

Firstly, I should let you know that after I instructed my father about my fulfillment and after I showed him footage on WhatsApp, he idea it was a souvenir. He didn't believe that I had gained a medal in Turkey. He assumed it was a souvenir given to all of the participants. But after I assured him that it was a medal I had gained, he was extremely joyful. After that, what gave me the most pleasure had been the words of our Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi. When I saw his tweet my eyes filled with tears. Thereafter, such a lot of important people wished me on social media and there can be nothing larger for me than that. When I got again to Manali, I saw such a lot of people smiling proudly and I realised that it was on account of what I had achieved. That was an overly particular feeling.



We have all of it right here - 73 % of the Himalayan vary is in India - so what's conserving again wintry weather sports? What is the potential?

We have huge doable. We are so fortunate that we have the Himalayas where we can make right kind hotels for youngsters to coach at. That is essential because wintry weather sports don't seem to be an reasonably priced prospect. Equipment isn't affordable but can still be procured. What is more expensive is coaching. Rather than pass in another country for coaching, if we can do this right here in India it'll be advisable. The costs will come down drastically. We have the sources and landscape right here to build ski hotels where Indian athletes can teach.

Do you assume PM Modi's efforts can boost wintry weather sports in India? Since he has tweeted, it is evident that he can put in position important procedures to help winters sports.

Winter sports has been stated via our Prime Minister so I'm confident that the Centre will fortify wintry weather sports. It is my hope that anyplace in India there's doable to make ski hotels, they're indeed made so that the younger era of wintry weather game athletes can get the chance to coach. With the federal government's help, India can become an actual drive in wintry weather sports.

Where particularly can wintry weather sports be advanced?

We have several places within the mountains with doable. The Solang Valley in Manali is main. If chairlifts and snow grooming machines are put in, the slopes there can become very good. One of Asia's best possible hotels is at Auli in Uttarakhand. It has an out of this world slope. The ISF was due to organize an international skiing match there not too long ago but this sadly had to be postponed due to loss of blizzard. Then there's Gulmarg, which has good facilities and grooming machines. The mountains there are also very good for skiing so if some more hotels are built, it can be advisable.



How do you feel this medal will impact wintry weather sports in India?

Before this medal there was not a lot media protection of wintry weather sports in India, but I feel this medal can be the turning point. There has been numerous protection within the media since then, and with the fortify of the federal government I believe wintry weather sports can get a facelift. Before the media, it is the govt which can fortify is. With that, the media will mechanically fortify us. The main fortify has to come back from the federal government.

You selected a tough trail, that of making a reputation for yourself in wintry weather sports in India. You is usually a position style for kids. What is your message to them?

If we communicate of game in India, then people are loopy about cricket. But when you talk about struggle, then cricket additionally struggled. It took many years for cricket to become the most followed game in India, to become a concern. If others like me struggle and work onerous to place wintry weather sports at the map, then I am hoping that skiing additionally become a craze. There was some degree where younger skiing fans started to stroll away from skiing, because they did not see a long term. But after this medal, I feel many will go back to skiing and we can see others begin to ski.



As a career, is skiing financially viable? What will have to folks of doable skiers pay attention to?

Skiing is a pricey game. Our equipment exceeds Rs 5 lakh. Then on account of the loss of facilities and infrastructure in India, we want to commute to Europe to coach. High-level coaches in Europe charge 200 Euros an afternoon. We can not find the money for to coach more than 3 months at a time. Hence it is my plea to the federal government to make hotels right here in India so that we shouldn't have to commute to Europe and pay 200 Euros an afternoon for skilled coaching.



Who had been your position fashions?

My father was my first inspiration. He used to tell me and my brother about ways and how you can ski. My brother was a significantly better skier, a lot quicker than me and I used to observe him carefully to give a boost to my talents. I simply sought after to become as good as my brother some day.


What does your brother have to mention now?

(Smiles) He is very proud of me.


What are your interests apart from wintry weather sports?

Apart from skiing I love to color. I paint a lot and feature been doing this since youth. I have painted the walls of my flat in Chandigarh. I additionally like to dance and I've completed some appearing too. Last year I was in a Punjabi music album, as a style. I'm additionally a way clothier, but at this stage only for my circle of relatives and myself (smiles). I've all the time been susceptible against arts and crafts. I keep making something small from whatever I get my arms on.
If made priority, nothing can stop Winter Sports in India: Aanchal Thakur If made priority, nothing can stop Winter Sports in India: Aanchal Thakur Reviewed by Kailash on January 31, 2018 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.