'Turkish consul general' tries to sell BMW, buyer puts brakes on fraud

MUMBAI: A fraudster pretending to be a former consul basic of Turkey posted a BMW automotive on the market on an e-commerce web page, however could not raise the sale thru as an alert prospective purchaser sensed one thing was once amiss.

When Tardeo businessman R Choksi got in contact with the person who had posted the ad, the latter offered himself as Erdal Sabri Ergen, the ex-consul basic. Choksi known as him as the price of the car mentioned within the ad was once Rs15 lakh. A brand new version of the type, BMW Series 5, is for Rs80 lakh whilst a 2d hand one is typically for Rs 40 lakh. "I was on the lookout for a luxury car and I was checking out the website (Quikr). When I saw the ad, I saw the car had been driven 23,000 km. I called up the person and told him I wanted to meet him the same day. He said he was at the Turkish consulate and needed to follow procedure to let me in. He asked for my email id, saying he would explain the procedure on email," Choksi informed TOI.


Choksi got the e-mail later the same day, through which he was once requested to deposit 10% of the car's asking value. "I got suspicious and so told him it was late for me to make the transfer and I would get back to him later. Meanwhile, I called up the Turkish consulate. I asked the receptionist for Ergen, and after keeping me on hold for some time, she asked me why I wanted to speak to him. I told her what the matter was. She told me Ergen left the country quite some time ago," he stated.


A regional delivery officer stated the car registration quantity Choksi saw at the web page was once other from the diplomatic licence plates that a consulate's automobiles have. "In the ad, the car's picture showed MH-12, which is a Pune registration. The other numbers were hidden," stated the officer.


TOI's calls and emails to the Turkish consulate went unanswered. The consulate is in a space this is within the jurisdiction of the Cuffe Parade police, which has not yet won a criticism. "I would be eager to register the case, but the consulate officials have not approached us so far. My cyber cell officers are active and will solve such cases fast," stated Cuffe Parade police senior inspector Rashmi Jadhav. As for Choksi, he stated he did not means the police as he fears he would not be entertained. "I did not finally get duped," he stated.


'Turkish consul general' tries to sell BMW, buyer puts brakes on fraud 'Turkish consul general' tries to sell BMW, buyer puts brakes on fraud Reviewed by Kailash on April 02, 2018 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.