Fifty vs England is in the past, Hanuma Vihari eyes century in Australia

NEW DELHI: On the back of spectacular Ranji Trophy seasons, Hanuma Vihari was once included within the Indian aspect for the England tour earlier this 12 months. And the all-rounder from Andhra Pradesh grabbed the chance with each palms when he was once requested to bat at No. 6 at the Kennington Oval in London.

Making his Test debut, Vihari scored a positive fifty and claimed three wickets as neatly.

Impressed along with his maiden outing, the selectors have thought to be Vihari once again for the four-match sequence towards Australia, starting December 6 at the Adelaide Oval and the 25-year-old is determined to score a hundred on Australian soil.

"Australians have a great bowling attack. My captain, Virat Kohli and other seniors helped me in England. I am taking everything I learnt to Australia," Vihari told Timesofindia.com in an exclusive interview.

"I will play in Australia the way I played in England. I am ready to bat at any position. If my captain asks me to open, I will. If he asks me to and bat in the middle or lower order, I am ready for that as well," Vihari mentioned.

"I scored a fifty in England and if given a chance I would like to convert it into a century in Australia," a confident Vihari told TimesofIndia.com.

"It goes to be a big sequence for me. I've worked challenging for this. Want to thank my captain for appearing faith in me,’ he mentioned.

Batting at No. 6, Vihari inspired everybody with a brilliant half-century in his maiden Test outing. Vihari was once involved in a 51-run stand with Kohli and then cast a 77-run stand with Ravindra Jadeja.

"Getting a fifty out of the country and that too on my maiden international tour was once a big factor for me. I can try to proceed this kind of efficiency in Australia," the 24-year-old mentioned.

The part-time off-spinner, who took the prized wicket of Alastair Cook, captain Joe Root and Sam Curran during the Kennington Oval Test, is ready to absorb the bowling problem in Australia as neatly.


"Bowling is not my number one power. But, I will bowl when my team demands it. I've certain diversifications that I exploit when bowling. When my captain requested me to bowl in England, I did and thankfully took three wickets," he mentioned.

"If, I am getting a possibility in Australia, I can be able to grab that opportunity as neatly,"Vihari mentioned.

Hanuma Vihari in Tests

Match Runs Avg Wickets
1 56 28.00 3

Vihari additionally spoke about his India senior and former cricketer VVS Laxman calling him on the telephone after the England tour.

"After the England sequence, Laxman sir referred to as me and requested me to arrange for the Australia sequence. He requested me to arrange in line with the conditions," Vihari recalled.

"When I was enjoying the ultimate Ranji Trophy season, VVS sir got here to watch a few matches. He spoke to everybody. He is one of these great human being and one of the greats within the cricketing world. It was once nice to have him round. I additionally spoke to him and mentioned my batting tactics," he mentioned.


Vihari, who was once part of the India’s Under-19 World Cup squad in 2012, credited his home performances for his international call-up.

In the 2017-18 Ranji Trophy season, he collected 752 runs in simply six outings at a mean of 94.

He additionally notched up his first triple century, scoring an unbeaten 302 towards Odisha. Following his Ranji Trophy heroics, the Andhra lad replicated his good run within the Irani Trophy recreation towards Vidarbha, where he smashed 183 runs off 327 balls.

"Honestly, I expected a call-up for the Australia sequence. Continuation of the consistent performances within the Ranji Trophy is the cause of my variety. I've carried out in point of fact neatly within the Ranji Trophy. It was once my home performances which counted," the youngster mentioned.

Speaking about his triple century, Vihary mentioned: "It feels great to be in that league. I wanted to score a triple century and I am glad I did it. I like to bat so long as possible. It requires a lot of persistence and hard-work to score large within the longer structure of the game."



"I always wish to rating as many runs for the team. Patience is the important thing for me. As I mentioned, I like to play long innings. Fifty or hundred is never on my mind, I simply move and bat as according to the location. I wish to bat at any place and scenario for my team," Vihari mentioned.


The 25 12 months outdated from Kakinada will perhaps be one of the batsmen thought to be for the Number 6 slot within the opening Test vs Australia in Adelaide, particularly after some other half-century within the ongoing four day Tour recreation vs Cricket Australia XI in Sydney.



Fifty vs England is in the past, Hanuma Vihari eyes century in Australia Fifty vs England is in the past, Hanuma Vihari eyes century in Australia Reviewed by Kailash on November 30, 2018 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.