World's biggest election loser, who lost 28 times, gears again for polls

BERHAMPUR: Victory or defeat doesn't subject to Okay Shyambabu Subudhi, once dubbed by the BBC because the 'international's biggest election loser'. Contesting polls is his interest and in spite of having lost 28 elections, together with 10 meeting polls, since 1957, the 84-year-old resident of Berhampur has set his sights on contesting this year's elections as smartly.

Subudhi plans to fight the Lok Sabha polls from the two seats in Ganjam district - Aska and Berhampur - as an Independent. He has contested nine instances from those two Lok Sabha seats.

The compulsive election-fighter entered the ballot fray in 1957, when he took on former state minister Brundaban Nayak as a tender man in his early twenties. "I fought with him for the Hinjili assembly seat but lost," Subudhi remembers fondly. He went on to make his Lok Sabha ballot debut in 1962.

Since 1957, he has suffered ballot defeats. When asked what helps to keep him going, he says, "Taking part in elections is my one and only passion. Forget victory or defeat, I contest to win. One day, I hope the people will elect me as their representative."

The homoeopathy doctor by occupation - who has lost his deposit in many of the elections he has contested - has begun his marketing campaign for the impending elections by distributing leaflets in crowded spaces like stretches frequented by morning-walkers and in markets.


"I have already covered many places in both constituencies. The public spontaneously gives me money to contest the elections," he stated.


Subudhi has crossed swords with a number of political heavyweights, together with Odisha chief minister Naveen Patnaik, former Prime Minister P V Narasimha Rao, former chief ministers Biju Patnaik and J B Patnaik, and previous Union ministers Ram Chandra Rath and Chandra Sekhar Sahu.


Subudhi has two sons and two daughters; all are married. His spouse died final year. "My family members do not stop me from contesting. In fact, my wife would encourage me to enter the fray," he stated. "I will contest till my health permits," he indicators off.


World's biggest election loser, who lost 28 times, gears again for polls World's biggest election loser, who lost 28 times, gears again for polls Reviewed by Kailash on March 01, 2019 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.