Clean-up marshals up to their old tricks

Mirror correspondent, who was once pressured by means of clean-up marshals out of doors Thane station, recounts his ordeal.

Around 1 pm on Friday, as I was about to enter Thane railway station from the Eastern entrance, a person in civil clothes approached me and requested if I chew tobacco. It was once a atypical query, and I requested him why he was once asking me this. As he kept insisting, I mentioned, “How does it matter, even though I chew tobacco?”

He then told me that I needed to pay a advantageous of Rs 200 for spitting on the street, which I had now not. As he was once now not wearing a uniform, I requested him who he was once and also requested him to show where I had spit. He mentioned that he was once the supervisor of Thane Municipal Corporation and added that I must straight away cough up the money.

I refused to do so as I had now not spit and requested him to show me the proof. At that point, I also began recording a video on my phone. At this, he were given offended, held my back and dragged me against his colleagues, a few of whom have been in uniform, who have been standing somewhat distance away.

All of them ganged up against me and threatened me to pay up. I kept asking for proof, which gave the impression to further anger them. The guy who had first stopped me then snatched my phone and manhandled me. When they realised that I had the video recording on my phone, they requested me to swear on my mom that I did not spit. As the situation was once getting out of hand, and they have been turning violent, I had no possibility however to do so, after which they let me pass.

Two of the marshals who demanded a advantageous of Rs 200

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fleecing continues through the day

The clean-up marshals did not prevent at that. Mirror kept an eye on the marshals for the remainder of the afternoon and found them harassing others in a similar fashion.

Our photographer Prashant Narvekar, who was once provide at the spot, spoke to another sufferer Ananta Patil, who was once on his technique to his village when he was once accosted by means of the 2 officers, who requested him to cough up Rs 200 for spitting on the street. He even showed them his pockets, which had very little money. He mentioned that he needed that cash for his go back and forth expenses. They have been nonetheless now not willing to let him pass. When he in spite of everything broke down on the street, they let him pass.

“I did not spit however they have been asking me to pay advantageous. I asked them to leave me however they weren't able. Thankfully, I'm released,” Patil mentioned after he escaped from their clutches.

Two extra victims of the marshals on Friday - Ananta Patil (left) and Shiv Kumar (Photo by means of Prashant Narvekar)


Another sufferer, Shiv Kumar was once also in a similar fashion accosted. He managed to get out of the situation by means of paying Rs 60 instead of the Rs 200 they have been asking for.

“I was in a hurry as I wanted to achieve my place of work. I can’t waste time arguing with them,” he mentioned.

Mirror also saw two different victims, who have been fined. While one managed to go after paying Rs 100, another needed to pay Rs 200. Both received different receipts for a similar violation. While a purple one discussed the penalty as Rs 100, the white receipt discussed Rs 200 as penalty.

When the matter was once delivered to the awareness of the Thane Municipal Corporation, its spokesperson Sandip Malvi told Mirror, “We will habits a correct inquiry into the matter and if discovered guilty, we will definitely take motion against those that behaved in such an unacceptable method.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mirror’s sting op on ‘Dirty Marshals’

This newspaper had executed a sting operation earlier this year on clear - up marshals resorting to fleecing voters within the garb of civic duties, often extorting greater than the stipulated fee and now not offering receipts ( ‘Dirty Marshals: BMC’s clean-up marshals stuck extorting, February 23). In this test-drive, reporters noticed clean-up marshals at work in quite a lot of wards and even acted as offenders to catch the corrupt team of workers in motion. Marine Drive promenade, Dadar, Mahalaxmi and Colaba have been one of the most spots where this newspaper’s reporters discovered clean-up marshals settling for unofficial amounts without the receipts.

Acting on the report, inside two days, the BMC determined not to renew contracts of 22 corporations using those marshals ( Mirror Impact: ‘22 corporations lose clean-up contract, motion against 4 stuck in sting op’, February 26). The civic frame even initiated motion against 4 marshals stuck during the edge op. When contacted, civic officers agreed that overcharging is a significant offence and no extortion of voters can be tolerated. Additional Municipal Commissioner Vijay Singhal also introduced introduction of penalty clause within the contract – a marshal stuck overcharging will probably be fined Rs 10,000 for the first offence, Rs 20,000 for the second one, and Rs 30,000 for the 3rd offence. A subsequent offence would price the company its contract and it could be blacklisted as neatly.


In March, the Malabar Hill police arrested two BMC cleanup marshals for allegedly coercing a South Mumbai resident to pay a advantageous of Rs five,000 for spitting. The criticism was once filed by means of Anant More, 44, who works as area assist in South Mumbai. The accused have been recognized as Sandip Sudam Jadhav, 37, and Sujit Vijay Madhav, 39.
Clean-up marshals up to their old tricks Clean-up marshals up to their old tricks Reviewed by Kailash on May 04, 2019 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.