Cricket is my language: Mujeeb Ur Rahman

DEHRADUN: Mujeeb Ur Rahman is the whole thing Afghanistan cricket would like to flaunt. Only, unlike maximum of his countrymen, he used to be lucky to have a cricketing background. He is already making ripples at 17 which can also be attributed to the sturdy cricketing tradition within the circle of relatives.

ALSO READ: Wrist spinner? No, I like to name myself a finger spinner - Rashid

Nephew to Noor Ali Zadran, who performed in Afghanistan’s debut ODI in opposition to Scotland in 2009, Mujeeb has grown up within the nursery constructed by his uncle at his house in Kabul. The academy has produced many top notch cricketers.

“I used to bowl to my uncle from a very young age. And I bowled with a mindset that I used to be already enjoying on the international stage. Right from the beginning, I were given an opportunity to bowl to international players,” Mujeeb advised TOI.

ALSO READ: Afghanistan seal sequence in opposition to Bangladesh

His meteoric rise because the U-19 World Cup in New Zealand earlier this 12 months has left him with very little time to be told issues international cricketers are anticipated to. Language is one hurdle. “No English or Hindi. Only Pashto,” is all he can keep in touch with people outdoor Afghanistan.


A fruitful debut IPL season with King XI Punjab is likely to convey profitable contracts from T20 leagues internationally. Since he broke into the nationwide team, he has needed to handle a support team of workers that has West Indian Phil Simmons (head trainer), South African Charl Langeveldt (bowling consultant) and Irishman John Mooney (fielding trainer). You prod him about his verbal exchange abilities and he tells his interpreter to convey: “Cricket is my language.”


“I bank on my cricketing wisdom. I understand what is being advised to me, the language doesn’t matter. I understand cricketing stuff.”


Cricketers in Afghanistan have slightly been exposed to formal training. And Mujeeb’s formative years coincided with the many innovations which have come to modify the way the sport is performed. Hence, conventional form of spin bowling used to be by no means an option. “I watched Ajantha Mendis, Sunil Narine and Ravichandran Ashwin bowling other type of balls. That fascinated me. I kept looking at the movies and grew with it,” Mujeeb unearths.


Mujeeb wears a wry smile whilst you ask him about how he broke throughout the defence of Virat Kohli throughout the IPL. “I noticed his footwork very minutely. I drew him ahead and exposed the distance.”
Cricket is my language: Mujeeb Ur Rahman Cricket is my language: Mujeeb Ur Rahman Reviewed by Kailash on June 06, 2018 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.