'Cricket is Dravid, Laxman batting through the day to beat Australia'

NOTTINGHAM: The company containers at Lord's on Test fit weekends come up with a way of English prime lifestyles. Jeffrey Archer, rather than being one of the vital common fiction writers of all time, belongs to that elite who've two things in not unusual - success in skilled lifestyles and love for cricket. "It's your paper that has written 15 million people have read my books. Well that's quite a lot," Archer instructed TOI as India struggled for expensive lifestyles in the second one Test.

READ ALSO: Indian squad yet to coach in nets after Lord's defeat

The writer of 'Kane and Abel' is terribly enthusiastic about his new e book because critics have said "it's better than Kane and Abel". "If that's so, it must be something. The other day I met your players at the Indian High Commissioner's residence. Ashwin was particularly charming, he came up to me and demanded my new book and a photograph with him."

Archer, in his feature cheerful spirit, calls himself "the natural captain of the England cricket team". "The fact that I can't bat, bowl or field is a feeble reason not to invite me to captain the English team," the mythical writer laughed.

And it's this love for cricket in whites that makes Archer despise T20. "That's not cricket my friend, this is. Cricket is Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman batting through the day to beat the Aussies, not T20," Archer thundered. But is not T20 the sporting similar of common bestsellers? "Good try young man," he laughs. "But try reading a book in three-and-a-half hours," Archer rests his case.


READ ALSO: Three disasters later, Alastair Cook finds himself in a nook


Archer's seven-part Clifton Chronicles has been an enormous success, however on a weekend afternoon at Lord's, the 78-year-old appeared extra interested by talking about cricket. "I was great friends with Nawab of Pataudi. He was the cricket captain of Oxford and I was the athletics captain. Let me tell you, he was an old-fashioned gentleman even when he was 18," Archer said, now not forgetting to add his later association with "the remarkable wife and daughter of Tiger" Sharmila Tagore and Soha Ali Khan.


While the writer's love affair with Indian cricket started with Pataudi, he has been great buddies with the likes of Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman over time. "My favourite cricketer is an Indian: Dravid. His batting was so beautiful, I have never seen anybody so elegant and correct as Dravid, not even my second favourite, Dennis Compton," Archer added.


As England marched on in the Test fit, the writer spoke about his association with Gavaskar. "I am from Somerset, the only county never to have ever won the championship. But that doesn't mean I stopped loving my county side. Gavaskar came and played for us (in the mid-1980s) and we hold him in high respect."
'Cricket is Dravid, Laxman batting through the day to beat Australia' 'Cricket is Dravid, Laxman batting through the day to beat Australia' Reviewed by Kailash on August 15, 2018 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.