Rahul Gandhi says he supports punishment for those involved in 1984 anti-Sikh riots

LONDON: Congress president Rahul Gandhi has described the 1984 anti-Sikh riots as a "very painful tragedy" and mentioned he was once "100 per cent" for the punishment for the ones serious about any violence towards anybody.

Nearly 3,000 Sikhs had been killed in the riots in 1984 following the assassination of former prime minister Indira Gandhi by means of her Sikh bodyguards when the Congress govt was once in energy on the Centre.

Gandhi, who's on a two-day talk over with to the United Kingdom, informed the audience of UK-based parliamentarians and local leaders the day prior to this that the incident was once a tragedy and painful reviews, however disagreed with the view that the Congress was once "involved".

"I think any violence done against anybody is wrong. There are legal processes ongoing in India but as far as I'm concerned anything done that was wrong during that period should be punished and I would support that 100 per cent," he mentioned.

"I have no confusion in my mind about that. It was a tragedy, it was a painful experience. You say that the Congress party was involved in that, I don't agree with that. Certainly there was violence, certainly there was tragedy."

Later, during an interactive consultation on the prestigious London School of Economics (LSE) when he was once again asked about the anti-Sikh riots, Gandhi mentioned: "When Mr Manmohan Singh spoke, he spoke for all of us. As I said earlier, I am a victim of violence and I understand what it feels."

He was once referring to the killing of his father and previous prime minister Rajiv Gandhi by means of the LTTE in 1991.

"So, I am against any sort of violence against anybody on this planet. I get disturbed when I see anybody being hurt. So, I condemn that 100 per cent and I am 100 per cent for punishment for those involved in any violence against anybody. That's crystal clear," mentioned Gandhi.

He mentioned that folks, who've not had violence inflicted upon them, assume that violence is what one sees in films.

"That's not what it is. I've observed people who I cherished very a lot being killed. I've additionally observed the individual (Prabhakaran) who killed my father being killed.

"When I noticed Prabhakaran lying on the beaches in Jaffna (Lanka), once I noticed him being humiliated, the way he was once, I felt sorry for him, because I noticed my father in his position and his kids in my position," he added.


"So, when you find yourself being hit by means of violence, while you realize it, it has a fully different impact on you."


Gandhi mentioned most people don't understand violence which is a horrible factor.


Some Congress leaders have been accused of leading the killer mobs during the riots. They have denied the allegations.


Earlier Gandhi had invoked Guru Nanak Dev, the primary Sikh guru, during his address in Germany, drawing sharp reaction from the BJP which mentioned Gandhi should apologise for the "heinous crime" on the Golden Temple.
Rahul Gandhi says he supports punishment for those involved in 1984 anti-Sikh riots Rahul Gandhi says he supports punishment for those involved in 1984 anti-Sikh riots Reviewed by Kailash on August 25, 2018 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.