Roger Federer chasing titles, not top ranking

GENEVA: Roger Federer is not chasing the top score and would fairly be a contender at Grand Slams than combating Novak Djokovic and Rafa Nadal to be international primary, the Swiss tennis great said on Friday.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion has held again the clock within the twilight of his exceptional profession and changed into the ATP's oldest international primary remaining 12 months a few weeks after clinching his 6th Australian Open at the age of 36.

Federer noticed his bid for a seventh name at Melbourne Park crushed remaining month by way of up-and-coming Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas within the remaining 16 and having slipped to 6th within the scores, he says his priorities have shifted.

"For me the ranking, at 37 years old, is no longer really the priority," he informed a news conference in Geneva.

"But the theory for me is to be in just right well being, to grasp that I will win tournaments, to grasp that I will beat them (Djokovic and Nadal), and after that it is a pleasure.

"As soon as you're feeling that you don't have any chance and all, then it is a drawback. Even if my score is going down further, it isn't a problem for me. As long as I say I will win a Grand Slam as I did two years ago with a world score of 17, everything is in position. I prefer to be ranked 17th than 3rd and now not win a Grand Slam or event."

Federer said he plans to play the Dubai Championships in February and Masters occasions in Indian Wells and Miami in March ahead of deciding which tournaments he would play within the leadup to the French Open.

Federer, speaking at a launch for the Laver Cup which is being held in Geneva from Sept. 20-22, hoped that compatriot Stan Wawrinka and international primary Djokovic would sign up for him and Spaniard Nadal on the European staff.

Federer, who's from Basel, said he was satisfied to be again in Switzerland for a few weeks, spending time with family and friends whilst coaching.


Sweden's Bjorn Borg is captain of the Europe staff at the event named after Australian tennis great Rod Laver.


Nadal has introduced he'll sign up for his perennial rival within the Laver Cup, which pits the best of Europe against a world staff nonetheless to be named.


"I will't wait. We mentioned it in Melbourne, we mentioned how excited he (Nadal) was and me too that we're going to be on the same staff again," Federer said.


"We do not know the fighters' staff quite but, it is a just right factor Rafa goes to be on my staff, and it is on home soil for me in Switzerland, it is indoors, I really like indoors," he said.
Roger Federer chasing titles, not top ranking Roger Federer chasing titles, not top ranking Reviewed by Kailash on February 09, 2019 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.