'Want to win an Olympic gold for India': Mirabai Chanu

NEW DELHI: Injuries are section and parcel of a sportsperson’s profession. And Indian weightlifting celebrity Mirabai Chanu is not any stranger to accidents. A lower back harm in May 2018, dominated her out for 8 months. But the Manipuri girl did not give up and bounced back with a bang.

Mirabai made a forged comeback and clinched the gold medal at the EGAT Cup in Thailand. It was once specifically spectacular most likely, as a result of this was once no longer within the weight category she is maximum pleased with (48kg), however her new 49 kg category. She finished on most sensible of the rostrum, with an effort of 192 kg.

"I was delighted. I was out of action due to injury and made a comeback back after a long period and won a gold medal for my country. I am really proud. I am really happy with my performance," Mirabai instructed Timesofindia.com in an exclusive interview.


"Trust me, it is not easy. As an athlete, you need to be stronger mentally and physically to make a comeback," the celebrity weightlifter stated.

The International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) rejigged the burden classes for both women and men within the Olympics and other international occasions closing year. The 2020 Olympics will have seven girls's weight classes in weightlifting- 49kg, 55kg, 59kg, 64kg, 76kg, 87kg and +87kg.

Since the 48kg is not a part of the Tokyo Olympics 2020, Mirabai needed to shift her weight category to 49kg.

Mirabai's private perfect within the 48kg category is 196 kg. That's what she lifted (in grasp and clean and jerk mixed) while successful gold at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast (Australia). In order to be in medal contention for Tokyo 2020, Mirabai might have to higher that through a minimum of 10kg or extra in one-and-a-half-years, going through what earlier weightlifters have managed to boost.

The journey is not going be simple however Mirabai says she's going to installed all of the laborious work required to make that dream come true.


"Competition will be so tough. I will be going 1kg up (48 to 49). I will have to put in extra effort. Some weightlifters, who were competing in the 53kg category, will also be shifting to 49 kg now. I am ready for this challenge," Mirabai stated.

"First, I have to compete with myself and then others," she stated.

The international document within the girls's 49kg category belongs to Chayuttra Pramongkhol of Thailand. Pramongkhol lifted a complete of 209 all the way through the 2018 World Weightlifting Championships, held in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan.

The new weight device was once implemented at the 2018 World Championships.

The gold medallist lifted a complete of 209kg, while the silver and bronze medalists lifted 208kg and 206kg, respectively. The weightlifter, who finished fourth, additionally lifted 201kg within the competition.

"Apart from the weight category shift, I have to lift 10 kg more or more than that to be in medal contention at Tokyo. I have to cross the 206 mark to win an Olympic medal," she instructed TimesofIndia.com.

Mirabai's next target is the Asian Championships, which will probably be held in China in April. After that, the Indian weightlifter will probably be competing within the Commonwealth Championship in Samoa in July and the World Championships in Thailand in September this year.

"I want to take it one step at a time. My ultimate focus is on the Asian Championships right now. I have to do well. I want to repeat what I did in EGAT. I am targeting gold in the tournament," a confident Mirabai stated.

"I have to participate and do well in the other three tournaments this year, ahead of the Olympics. I am targeting 210 kg to win a gold medal for India." she stated.

Mirabai had a disappointing outing at the Rio Olympics in 2016. She failed to boost 104 kg in her first clean and jerk strive. And then couldn't elevate 106 kg in the second one and 3rd makes an attempt.

In truth out of 6 makes an attempt at the 2016 Olympics -- 3 in grasp and 3 in clean and jerk – Mirabai may elevate the burden just as soon as (82 kg in grasp).


"I failed in Rio but this time I won't let it happen. Gold is on my mind. I am targeting a top finish in Tokyo. That (2016 Rio Olympics) was a huge learning curve for me. Dealing with pressure, competing with top athletes from around the world and techniques – I learnt all this in Rio," Mirabai stated.


Mirabai additionally lauded her trainer Vijay Sharma who played a big role in her comeback.


"He (Vijay Sharma) is the best coach. He takes care of everything. From diet to practice, he guides me in every aspect. He has helped me a lot," she stated.


"It was so difficult (making a comeback from injury). It was a tough period for me. Despite having a lot of facilities, I was feeling demoralised. I just wanted to recover as soon as possible. Injury is like an enemy for athletes. Who wants to get injured? Every athlete wants to remain fit and win medals for the country. But, my coach motivated me a lot. I am really thankful to Vijay sir," Mirabai signed off.
'Want to win an Olympic gold for India': Mirabai Chanu 'Want to win an Olympic gold for India': Mirabai Chanu Reviewed by Kailash on February 26, 2019 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.