Ahm: Dalit boy thrashed by upper caste boys

AHMEDABAD: A 13-year-old Dalit boy from Vithlapur village in Ahmedabad district was allegedly overwhelmed and humiliated through youths from the upper caste Darbar neighborhood on Wednesday. The incident — which happened near Becharaji the town in Mehsana, the place the victim had gone for a haircut for the reason that barbers within the village don't serve Dalits — came to mild when a video showing the Dalit boy being slapped and kicked around went viral on social media on Thursday.

The video also shows the Darbar attackers forcing the boy to address them as ‘Bapu’ (a colloquial address for men of Darbar neighborhood in Gujarat) and forcing him to fall at their ft and press their ft. ‘Taare Darbar banvu che?’ (You want to grow to be a Darbar?) the youths many times say to the boy while attacking him.

The Dalit boy, Mahesh Rathod, is a category VIII graduate and belongs to the Valmiki (a scheduled caste) neighborhood. Rathod told TOI that the Darbar boys attacked him specifically after understanding his caste.

“As barbers don't lower the hair of Dalits in Vithlapur, on account of untouchability, I went to Bechraji for a haircut through an ST (state shipping) bus. I took refuge from the warmth near a store the place four youths have been status. One of them asked me my caste. I stated that I belong to the Valmiki neighborhood,” Rathod told TOI.

“Another one then asked me why I used to be wearing fancy clothes. In an strive at injury keep watch over, I stated my title was Maheshsinh Rathod. However, one of the most four Darbar youths was from my village and told the 3 others that I'm a Valmiki boy.”

Rathod stated the revelation enraged the Darbar boys offended and they started thrashing him.

“One of them even pulled out a knife however one way or the other I controlled to run away,” stated Rathod.


A Mehsana police workforce rushed to the spot after the video went viral and started investigating.


Chaitanya Mandalik, the superintendent of police (SP) of Mehsana district, stated that an FIR has been registered within the case. “We shaped 14 teams to nab the accused. The boy and his circle of relatives will probably be given police coverage,” Mandlik stated.


Kirit Rathod, an activist who visited Vithlapur after the incident, stated that Dalits within the village face other varieties of untouchability too.


Ahm: Dalit boy thrashed by upper caste boys Ahm: Dalit boy thrashed by upper caste boys Reviewed by Kailash on June 15, 2018 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.